Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Why am I doing what I am doing?

Learning Styles and Preferences 


As I completed my first couple blogs, I did what I thought felt natural. I had freedom to research anyway I chose on any topic I chose, something I have never really been able to do that I can remember. For the first time, I began to look at how it is that I truly learn. I a have come to see that I am a visual kinesthetic social learner.

When I began my research I first looked into finding videos. In my thinking process, people who understanding Web 3.0 must be doing something techy to be able to show me what it is I am trying to understand. This was how I began to make the connections between Web 2.0 and 3.0. It also helped me understand how much I didn't actually know about what I thought I knew. As I continued through my research, I continued to be leaning towards those articles or websites that provided more visual stimuli whether it be graphs, pictures, diagrams, or videos. This was how I gained true understanding.

Of course, along the way, I have discovered various resources to use in my classroom. So, mid article, I would go to the website and explore them, sometimes I got back to the article and sometimes not. However, allowing me something to use practically provided me with a plethora of resources that I began to try and utilize in my lesson plan as early as the next day! My grade 11 students have come to the understanding that they are my guinea pigs when it comes to new software or programs. However, it does provide them with many resources they can use in other classes. Yes, I I am kinesthetic and need to try it out for myself.

Finally, I am a social learner. Whatever it is I am learning about, especially here, I have shared or tried to get feedback from my peers and administration. I also enjoy talking about it with my students. They brought some insight into my ideas that I didn't even realize. When I am trying to gain new information or understand, I have to share and talk with others in order to gain a deeper understanding of my own thought process.

Learning Theories

                 Blooms Taxonomy

Blooms taxonomy is one of the many theories I looked at to decide which my process fell under the best. After reviewing my research process, I came to the conclusion, this was the one I was tending to follow due to my research model.

As I began to research, I chose a topic that stuck with me the best and that I remembered hearing and wanting to know more about. I moved on to try and understand the concept of Web 2.0 further through researching. Once I understood that my initial topic was not going to work the way I thought it would, I had to take my understanding and apply it to new ideas and topics as I continued in my pursuit. With so much new information, I had to analyze, not only the information I gathered, but my very understanding of the topic. I also had to analyze through so many different positive and negative reactions to Web 2.0 and 3.0. When it came to the end of it, I had to evaluate what I agreed with and which thoughts and ideas I felt were based on my pedagogy. Based upon the research I have done so far, I believe I want to be able to use and create opportunities to have my students utilize different Web 2.0 and 3.0 resources and allow them to analyze and evaluate their thoughts on it. I feel it will be a never ending cycle, yet highly valuable to both my students and myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment